Carnitas Tacos with Creamy Mexican Coleslaw
- 2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 3 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4-6 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Cut the pork shoulder into large 4-inch chunks. Place in the slow cooker.
- Add the lime juice, salt, ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, onion powder and black pepper. Mix thoroughly to coat the meat with all the seasonings.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 7-8 hours.
- When tender, shred the meat by pulling it apart with two forks. Mix in freshly chopped cilantro if desired.
- To make the coleslaw, in a large mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, lime juice, tequila, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine until smooth.
- Stir in cilantro, red onions, and green cabbage. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, to allow flavors to marry.
- To assemble the tacos, warm tortillas until pliable. Spoon in shredded pork and top with coleslaw, cotija cheese, and cilantro. Serve immediately.