Homemade Shrimp Cocktail Sauce
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, shells reserved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- handful of fresh parsley leaves and stems
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- To make the stock, bring the shells, 4 cups of water, and salt to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Strain the liquid. Discard the shells.
- In a medium saucepan, add the shrimp stock, wine, peppercorns, coriander, bay leaf, parsley, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add peeled shrimp.
- Cover pan and allow to sit for 10 minutes, until shrimp is opaque and firm.
- Remove shrimp and place in an ice water bath.
- To make the cocktail sauce, mix remaining ingredients. Serve chilled.