Mom’s Sweet Potato Orange Baskets
As a little girl, I was amazed at these tiny baskets of sweet potatoes.
- 3 large sweet potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 10 oranges
- 8 ounce fresh squeezed orange juice (from discarded orange flesh)
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- mini marshmallows for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover; cooking for 30 minutes until potatoes can be pierced with a knife. Drain liquid.
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare the orange baskets. Using a paring knife, cut two wedges from the top of the orange, making the basket handle.
- Using a grapefruit knife (or serrated knife), cut along the circumference of the orange, removing the pulp flesh without cutting the orange rind basket handle off; leaving an orange shell.
- Set pulp flesh aside in a bowl. Using the orange flesh, squeeze 8 ounces of juice.
- Add juice, brown sugar, whipping cream, and butter to the sweet potatoes.
- Using an immersion blender, pulverize potatoes until creamy.
- Spoon sweet potato mixture into the the orange baskets and garnish with mini marshmallows. Place baskets on a baking sheet and bake, uncovered for 10-15 minutes until heated through or marshmallows have toasted.