Elevating a classic. A delicate coconut and caramel custard.
- 1 pound granulated sugar
- 2 ounces orange juice
- 4 eggs
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place ramekins in a 13x9 baking pan, set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add granulated sugar and orange juice. Heat, stirring constantly, until melted and light golden brown.
- Pour quickly into ramekins, swirling around to cover bottom and sides of dishes.
- Return ramekins to baking pan.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together eggs.
- Slowly whisk in evaporated milk, condensed milk, and coconut extract.
- Pour the mixture into each ramekin.
- Prepare a water bath by filling baking pan with hot water, filling the pan to about 1/2-inch up the side of the ramekins.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the center of the flan is set.
- Transfer flan to a rack to allow to cool. Chill in the refrigerator until cold.
- Before serving, in a small fry pan, toast coconut flakes until golden brown.
- To serve, run a small sharp knife around flan to loosen. Turn over onto plate, gently tap to release flan.
- Carefully lift off ramekin, allowing the caramel syrup to run over flan.
- Garnish with toasted coconut flakes.