Skip to content
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cilantro, chopped.
- Kale chips
- Pickled Onions
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup crema
- Mix flour with salt and gradually stir in the oil and nearly all of the water. Mix together until a soft dough forms, with the consistency similar to playdough.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces and roll them into balls, cover with plastic wrap.
- Line a tortilla press with plastic wrap. Press one ball of dough at a time.
- Heat a pan over high heat. Place the tortilla onto the griddle, and cook until it looks dry on the top, about 1 minute.
- Flip over and cook another 20 to 30 seconds until fully cooked.
- Place the cooked sope on a baking sheet and wait about 30 seconds until it has cooled, pinchedges up with your fingers to form borders. Continue for all sopes.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, stir and cook until translucent. Reduce heat to low. Stir in black beans, cumin, salt, and cilantro. Remove from heat.
- To serve, spread sopes with black bean mixture, top with pickled onions, kale chips, cotija cheese, and crema.
- To make kale chips:
- Wash kale and shake to remove excess water. Tear up and spread in a single layer on cookie sheets.
- Drizzle with olive oil and salt. Massage leaves to evenly spread around oil and salt.
- Put oiled kale in the oven and set to 300F. Allow kale to sit in the oven while it heats to 300F. About 5 minutes after it reaches 300F, turn oven off. Keep kale in oven.
- After 10 minutes, toss kale around on tray. Continue to leave in off oven until has cooled.
- Keep kale in cooled oven until dry and crispy.