The three different types of milks make this cake decadently rich and moist, perfect for any celebration. Keep it simple with a whipped cream frosting, or dress the cake up with sliced fruit.
- unsalted butter for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2-4 tablespoons for pan
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour bottom and sides of a 13x9” baking dish.
- Whisk together in a large bowl, 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and cinnamon, set aside.
- In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg whites until firm peaks form, about 7-8 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating to blend between additions.
- Beat in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth top.
- Bake cake for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 325ºF. Continue baking for another 20-25 minutes, until cake is golden brown and middle springs back when touched.
- Remove from oven and allow cake to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet.
- To prepare the sauce, whisk 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, evaporated milk, heavy cream, condensed milk, and rum in a medium bowl.
- Using a skewer, poke holes all over the cooled cake. Slowly drizzle half of the sauce over cake, allowing liquid to soak in before adding more. Let cake sit for 10 minutes.
- Invert platter on top of cake. Lift rack and gently invert cake onto platter. Drizzle remaining sauce over cake. Set aside.