A perfect soup to cozy up to on a chilly rainy day.
- 3 poblano chiles, cut in half and seeded
- 8 ounces Cotija cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, reserved
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 2 ounces Jack cheese, shredded
- 32 ounces organic chicken broth
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 ounces roasted pumpkin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Heat grill to medium high heat. Grill chiles skin side down for 5 minutes or until blistering. Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
- While chiles are cooling, grill Cotija cheese on all sides until browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Cube cheese and reserve for garnish.
- Remove blistered skin from chiles. Reserve 1 chile and dice for garnish.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- Stir in onions and remaining chilies. Sauté until tender.
- Stir in Jack cheese.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a hard boil. Add cilantro. Boil for 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, purée until smooth.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by whisking together 4 teaspoons cornstarch and 4 teaspoons cold water or chicken broth. Stir in slurry to soup to thicken. Season with salt to taste.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds, diced poblano chili, and grilled Cotija cheese.