Skip to content
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 (20 ounce) cans young green jackfruit in water
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- corn tortillas
- avocado, sliced (optional)
- red onion, diced (optional)
- lime sliced into wedges (optional)
- cilantro, minced (optional)
- jalapeños, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Drain and rinse jackfruit.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add jackfruit and 1/2 cup of water, simmer covered for 10 minutes to soften.
- In a small bowl, mix together tomato paste, soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, cumin, oregano, turmeric, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- Mash jackfruit with a potato masher to create a shredded texture. Stir spice mix into mashed jackfruit, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in orange juice, lime juice and liquid smoke. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Spread jackfruit onto prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and serve in warm tortillas.
- Garnish with avocado, diced red onion, sliced jalapeños, and cilantro. Squeeze with fresh lime juice right before serving.