This is my go-to weeknight casserole that my boys like to call our “Mexican lasagna”. It’s quick, easy, and delicious!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 onion, finely diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles, diced
- 16 (6-inch corn tortillas), 1-inch slices
- 2 (10 ounce) cans red enchilada sauce
- 3 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a glass 9 x13 baking dish with non stick spray.
- Mix shredded chicken with taco seasoning, onions, and green chiles, set aside.
- Place a layer of sliced tortillas across the bottom of a prepared baking dish.
- Top with 2/3 cup of enchilada sauce, spreading evenly over tortillas.
- Top with 2 cups seasoned chicken and 1 cup of cheese.
- Repeat layer of tortillas, sauce, chicken, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Finish the casserole with a layer of tortillas, remaining sauce, and cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Remove foil for remaining 5 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly. Garnish with chopped cilantro.