Just like empanadas, these beef tacos are fun for kids to eat and freeze well for future meals.
- 2 boxes refrigerated pie crusts (4 crusts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1 cup refried black beans
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unroll one pie crust at a time onto your work surface and cut into six 3 x 4 rectangles. Repeat with the remaining crusts. Cover dough with plastic wrap to keep from drying out.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef and sauté until cooked through.
- Stir in cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool until warm.
- Place six pie crust rectangles on one prepared baking sheets.
- Spread a layer of beans onto each crust.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup meat or less on top of beans. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place pie crust rectangles on top of each pop tart.
- Using a fork, seal the edges by pressing down with the tines. Repeat with the remaining dough. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of all of the sealed pop tarts. Sprinkle with salt or paprika (optional).
- Place in the oven and bake until golden brown for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.