Easy holiday breakfast served hot or cold.
- 3/4 pound thickly sliced bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pre-made pie shell
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Line the pie shell with aluminum foil and pie weights or dried beans. Bake the shell for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- Remove foil and weights and continue to bake until golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Note, oven times may vary.
- Turn the oven down to 325ºF.
- To prepare the filling, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, turning until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Coarsely chop the bacon.
- Wipe out the skillet and add olive oil.
- Heat over medium-low heat, add onion and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is caramelized, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Whisk in half and half, yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon white pepper.
- To prepare the quiche, spread the caramelized onions, chopped bacon, and cheddar cheese in the baked pie shell.
- Pour the custard on top.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the custard sets.
- Transfer the quiche to a wire rack to allow to cool for 10 minutes.